View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 04:05 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
A good question and a scary one. I've been thinking a lot about it lately. I just don't know. The thought of giving up the drums completely makes me really sad. It's not a matter of being scared to do it...I think being a lead singer would be a blast. However, I just love playing the drums, too. I guess my ideal situation would be to form a band with another drummer/singer where we could split the duties (yeah, that's going to be easy to find....lol).

Here's the thing, though. I know that I'll never be a super drummer...mediocre at best. Not putting myself down, just being realistic. It's not a natural talent for me and I have to work too hard to be even so-so. Singing, however, is something that I seem to have more raw talent for to begin with which makes me think with some training I might could do pretty well at it.

I guess what I need to do is get into another band situation and see what talent we have. Maybe there would be a chance for me to do a little of both. I don't know.

I'd love to hear what some of you think....
I think you are seeing things as they really are. You are discovering strengths that you never realized you had. You have good time, can understand song forms, you can actually play drums, AND you can do lead vocals.

I can't tell you how many singers I know...singers with good voices...who don't understand song form. Meaning when someone is taking a solo, these singers can't hear the chord progressions, or can't hear that the soloist needs a 2nd time around the progression to culminate their solo to a peak. I've seen so many singers cut the solo short to come back in with their vocals.

YOU understand song form. YOU have a musicians ear and a singers voice. YOU have great, steady meter. YOU have the Ruby Slippers girl, just click your heels and make a wish.

Seriously, a singer who understands song form and can hear when a soloist is done or not....you've got a lot of raw material to work with.

So you're doing terrific Mary O. Keep on with your singing. You continue to be an inspiration and we all love you here.

Madge's idea is a home run. 2 bands. Issue resolved. Singers are the most rare, compared to the other instrument players, so you have that going for you too.