View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 02:48 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Switching to TG while maintaining MG skills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingbob View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I just did 60 minutes of stick control work from the 1st page of Stick Control by GLS alternating 5 minutes with each grip. I think I'll keep working like this and see how it goes. Wondering if there's people out there who have an opinion as to whether this is a good idea or if it's better to commit to one where the other??
I think it's good to stick to one for now; at least for each practice session. Maybe alternate grips each day at first. But you want to train so that traditional grip is second nature, so you need to work it in steadily over many, many hours. And that means sticking to it for a long time. Now if you feel fatigued at some point, sure- switch it up for a bit. But don't worry about losing your matched grip ability. Even if you totally switched over to traditional, you could get your matched chops back in no time. I think it's a lot harder the other way around.

The other thing I strongly suggest, without sounding like a broken record, is to take lessons with someone who teaches traditional grip. So many times I've had a teacher adjust my fingers, hands, elbows and give me immediate feedback on what was wrong or good. You simply can't get that from a book or video. You don't have to do many at first; it depends how far you want to take it. But even a few will be worthwhile. it will take the guess work out of the mechanics and save you a lot of money and time in the long run.

National Association of Rudimental Drummers
(N.A.R.D.) Member, No. 10078