View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Share your favorite more obscure movie

Pssh. Most of these aren't that obscure guys. Try a little 3 hour Finnish World War II film that 'll blow your pants off called Talvisota (the Winter War). That French movie that totally inspired Drive, called Le Samurai. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is a forgotten western masterpiece. Ozu's Tokyo Story is about nothing happening but it's so real. Grave of the Fireflies is a Studio Ghibli production that will make grown men cry. Watch something by Andrei Tarkovsky. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (that's the title) is this short lived British comedy that spoofs cheap/terrible sci fi shows and is just dead pan and ridiculous, and all of it is available on Youtube. Also Peep Show, another fantastic British comedy, but more well known and on going. Eyes Without a Face, old french horror and awesome. Testament of Dr. Mabuse, old German horror by Fritz Lang, also awesome. Onibaba, old Japanese horror and signifigantly better than Jigoku. Delicattessen is one of my favorite comedies, by the guy who made Amelie and City of Lost Children. Some Kind of Monster, Until the Light Takes Us and Heavy Metal In Baghdad are great musical documentaries. The Sound of Noise is a comedy made for drummers. Redline, the anime film, is one of the best animated films of all time - it's completely hand drawn and looks out of this world. Samurai Fiction is another great Japanese comedy/chanbara film. Lastly, Start the Revolution Without Me is an underraded comedy with Gene Wilder and Donald Sutherland in duel roles. Did I already say Come and See? Everybody must watch Come and See.