View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Drummers who've inspired your playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2564 View Post
.......you seem to fall into the "less is better camp" in terms of playing.

Take care!
I can see how I give that impression. I mainly mean that in regards to drumming to Blues music. Too many newbs overplay Blues and overuse their fills. But I was raised on rock and can and do play as many notes as necessary for whatever the situation requires. My trio, even though at heart we are a Blues band, in reality, because of the places we play, we play what we need to keep the people dancing, which only includes maybe 10% Blues. Lately we have been doing The Who's "The Kids Are Alright", and at the end, instead of fading out, I get a little spot where I try and capture a KM vibe with 16ths all over the toms and crashes, arms flailing. So I play what's necessary, but also possess the restraint to be able to keep a steady beat with no fills for minutes on end. In Blues, a gigantic gaping pitfall is thinking that you are boring because you are just keeping a good beat, and a lot of guys get nervous and have to ruin the vibe with an unnecessary fill. It's a security thing.

But Danny Seraphine came along at an age when I first really started focusing in on the drums, and between him and Bobby Columby, they were the first guys who I definitely took real notice to, rather than listen passively to. I was probably 10 years old when CTA's first album came out. "Questions 67 and 68" is still one of my favorite all time songs. It's got great atmosphere. That opening fill really hooked me in. I totally stole from Danny. I didn't realize this at the time, but he helped shape my approach for sure.

Gomez Addams