View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 11:49 PM

Default Re: David Byrne: 'The internet will suck all creative content out of the world'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Slight hypocrisy there. If you listen to track on this methods, no one is getting paid, It's all free. How is listening to a free song different than listening to a free song? At least with Spotify, the band might get a penny. Simply going to the bands website means the band gets nothing.
I want to chime in on this as all the musicians I know do original bands in the punk/indie genre: they don't think much of Spotify ("pennies" is a pretty apt description of their return on that) but they don't mind Soundcloud and Bandcamp, because it's more of a publishing platform (and while the bands do in fact make money from the sites, there's also the idea that every minute BandCamp spends working on your commerce & backend is one minute your label/you-as-a-web-person doesn't have to, thus saving money - as somebody who's trying to fix his new band's contact page, let me tell you, this is no small feat).

Also, from a broader perspective, lot of bands don't have the luxury of worrying about "the market" (which thread seems to be taken as a given, conceptually and historically - touring bands rely as much on the gift economy as the transfer of cash, and it's not like yr average DRM-laden download is representative of the only theory of intellectual property out there). I don't think I've ever been in a band that did anything but give half their CDs away. Thank god for the Web, so we don't have to carry around those stupid rectangular boxes anymore.

Session musicians as contingent or piece-work workers may have a different view of their relationship to labor and property regimes, but the average touring/gigging band, as far as I know (and I know/n lots!), only starts caring about the market when they have to deal with old-model distro and booking agencies. Life's simpler when it's just you and the merch table, primarily because you can only afford food and gas.