View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 12:03 AM

Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
+100000.Moonie was a force of nature,and he paid the ultimate price because of it.

Because of their unique rhythm section,The Who were a mini orchestra,that sounded larger than just 4 instruments.

I agree that "Live at Leeds" is just a powerhouse of a rock album,and no one else could have powered that band like Moonie......no one.Talk about a live song that shines......how about a whole album.How about the fact,that he rarely played any song the same,twice in a row,and made up his drum parts as he went along.

Lots of "drummers" don't have that ability,and actually have to write things out.I don't think Moonie ever did,nor do I think he could even read music.He was totally spontaineous and explosive.

Most of use read books,watch DVD's ,youtube,participate on drum forum's ,and pick each others brains and above all practice. Moonie didn't do ANY of those things.

He just sat down,and was the jet engine,that powered one of the greatest rock bands in history.Some are offended that he didn't practice.Well neither did Buddy Rich,and just maybe....neither of them needed to.Both were lightning in a bottle.

Steve B
my thoughts exactly... ..Neil Peart is one the best in the world but he lacks the ability to play differently when he plays live........ without preparing the drum tabs...I think this has a lot to do with the accompanying guitar and Bass and the vocals....who are more supportive for Moonie than for a normal regular time keeper drummer who plays by the rules.