View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sound percussion double pedal

Keep the receipt. If you are buying an SP pedal, odds are you might need it, especially if your playing is particularly aggressive or you pack up and move a lot.

Typically with hardware the trick is whether it can withstand repeated stress and packing, not whether it performs the stated gear purpose mechanically (i.e. holds up a cymbal, hits the bass drum). More expensive hardware should, theoretically, hold up better over time.

Hopefully it will stand up to a few months of playing at least, so that you can determine what you like and don't like about it, so that in the future when you have a bit more money to move around, you can take your time and make a measured decision.

Also, don't discount the fact that many music stores, pawn shops and Craigslist will have pro-level pedals for only a little more that your SP pedal if you are patient. Sometimes you can score a very good pedal that has a few years of life left in it. My first double pedal was an old used Pearl single-chain that lasted about ten years longer and was light as a baby's breath to play. I sold it on Craigslist and I've seen it being gigged around town.