View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 03:10 AM

Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZero View Post
I'm 46. Keith Moon was a bit before me, but not much. I grew up thinking he was good. It wasn't really until my mid 30s, when I began playing Who cover tunes, when I realized how bad he seemed. I would listen to the drums of certain songs and think, "wow that was terrible". Then, I tried to find good, solid pieces of work from him, any live videos, recordings, and I came up empty. In fact, does anyone here have an impressive solo,or live song where Moon shines? I have scoured Youtube for ANYTHING by Keith Moon that would impress me. Nothing. Go ahead and try it, you'll see what I mean. His solos are as good as any 4th year student drummer can do. There's just nothing there....Just my 2 cents, I could always be wrong.
Are there any Youtubes vids of your Who cover band? . . . . . . . .so that we might be able to see your interpretation of Moonies drum parts? . . .

Did you feel that you had improved on the original drum parts? . . .or did you feel that you had failed to capture the spirit of his work?

Reading between the lines, it seems that you got little pleasure from playing in a Who covers band. There is no mention of the fun, or the buzz, that one would have thought you might have experienced from performing such exuberant numbers.

How did you feel after the gig, did you feel energised, did you feel that you'd nailed it?