View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 01:34 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: The 'Validity of Opinion'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Years ago, when living in Baltimore, I had an Uncle that knew everything. I knew just about everything so he and I had some interesting debates. After a bit of time I got tired of everything I said being shot down just on his opinion with no facts that I would not start any conversations and when he did, I would just agree with him. Discussions didn't last long from that point on. I'm not one to back down when I have the facts but with this man you could pour water on him and he would still say he was dry. I have gotten to the point now where I will state my opinion but will not argue it. If you don't believe me at first you won't believe me and 30 minutes of fussing. It just ain't worth it.
Exactly this!!^^
Now just imagine every single person you argue with on the internet is like Grunt's uncle- because at the end of the day, 99.9% of people are.
Think about it- how many arguments have you actually "won" during your years on the forum?
How many times did your evidence- based, well-researched opinion make a difference to the person making a contrary argument??
Not many times I'm guessing...