View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The death of Rock n Roll?

The issue with music relying on cliché is that it perpetuates itself if it's commercially successful. Whether that's the 'fault' of the inherently conservative record labels generally have or the bands (a bit of both, most likely) I still find it alarming.

With that said, there is still plenty of interesting music around. Major labels have nothing like the power that they used to have and if you dig under the surface a little then there are some great bands and great labels producing exciting new music everywhere. You won't see most of it in record stores - whereas perhaps it was there in the past to a greater extent.

Not much has actually changed in the 'business' with regards of A&R selection for at least thirty years and there is an element of nostalgia amongst buyers like myself that yearn for 'new' music other than the mainstream has become slightly more established. The issue, as I see it, is one of promotion - but in the modern era it's much easier to produce and distribute music than thirty years ago. Thirty years ago, you would have relied on the label to record, produce and distribute. Now, you can do all of that yourself but because of the saturation, the profit margins have become smaller for the labels (not for the artists necessarily, mind). This has produced a cycle of mainstream labels becoming even more conservative and relying on formulae.

When I'm searching for new music, I almost invariably look at some of the smaller labels. There are a few mailing lists that I'm signed up to and I regularly receive updates. A lot of the artists they promote are genuinely interesting - but you have to know what you're looking for.

So I have no issue with listening to music from eras past. None at all. It's important to spread your horizons wider, though. It's easier to get hold of new music now than at any time in history but you have to use your nous to find it - and that might involve buying a few records that you don't like. Nothing wrong with that!

Here's an example of an album that I bought as a 'risk' from a small label. I really like it:

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/vent/471046-01/

So obscure, it's not even on YouTube.