View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The death of Rock n Roll?

Ben, I couldn't agree more. So much of music lives on past glories. There is nothing inherently wrong with celebrating the music and appreciating it but at the same time, musicians should acknowledge that an awful lot has changed in the intervening years.

I usually think of most music as divided into two types. Idiom and genre. Idiomatic music is music that embraces a new idea or combination of ideas. Genre is what happens when those idioms are assimilated by others to form a set of ideas that is largely fixed. Fusion is a great example. When 'fusion' was an idea ('Bitches' Brew', early Santana, Herbie Hancock, etc.) it was exciting, nebulous and often surprising. It was an idea still in formation and was unpredictable, undefined and as unsuccessful at times as it was successful.

A few years later, it gradually becomes established and fixes its sounds, ideas and structures - at least in the mainstream. At that point for me, most of the music becomes deeply tedious. Look at Dave Weckl's compositions - predictable and stolid (with stellar playing, obviously). There are always exceptions ( I like Bruford's largely-failed fusion projects) but for the most part, once music is categorised and put into a defined genre, it loses its magic.