View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The death of Rock n Roll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Or maybe the sequencer presets were all straight 8s and people didn't even think to press the shuffle button while noodling around? Or maybe that's putting the cart before the horse? I expect the default factory preset would be a swung rhythm if sequencers were invented in the 1940s ...
I'm not sure about that really, there were probably more shuffle-type rhythms in the 80s when the drum machine first properly appeared on the scene. Rocket by Def Leppard is one example of that in a rock track (I think that was a Linn LM-1 on that album). Then when you consider how big hip-hop and RnB were in the early 90s, and related genres like New Jack Swing, and that they used swing patterns most of the time, it's obviously not to do with sequencers. Rhythms have been straightened out across many genres of popular music over the last 20 years or so. Even older dance music with a four-on-the-floor bass drum pattern used to have swung hi-hats quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

Dunno if thats good or bad. I read an article recently that said the our ears have now become so accustomed to lo rez mp3s that sound with more bit rate and bandwidth is 'uncomfortable'. ( yes, I can't play my St Pepper LP without my 19 yr old going, nice tunes, but the sound is weird )

Yes, you are right, the original spirit of rock in roll was a raw looseness and beautiful imperfection which runs counter to the very idea of a machine.

Was there a study published? That sounds sort of spurious to me.

I actually think rock music has always been driven by technology. The spirit of machines is right in there with the spirit of humans. Those sleek, futuristic stratocasters and glowing valves...the music of the future! Well, it was in 1959 anyway. Maybe the spirit of rock is easier to find in something else now.