View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The death of Rock n Roll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Now that is interesting Abe, but also concerning. I care not for the tech reasons, but reduced bit rate = less dynamic, via compression as a necessity. As if more distance was needed, this takes recorded music further away from live music audio presentation, & in turn, reduces the value, & indeed the wonder, of a full dynamic sonic landscape.

It may seem like I'm being a bit techy deep over this, but I believe it to be a creeping conditioning that's counter productive on so many levels.

On a personal day to day level, I won't listen to mp3 unless I'm forced to via lack of choice. To me, it's the audio cassette of the modern age, & f(*^ing sounds like it too :(

Lol, what you have touched upon may be a broader question, Andy.

Live, organic music, as we understand it, is in the minuscule minority already. I don't know how many kids these days really go to gigs which don't have incredibly processed sound, triggers, Ableton, sequencers etc. I know your studio and recording chops are solid, Andy, and you would scientifically understand what digital compression does to music, but if you didn't know better, or didn't grow up in the LP age, would you even care.

Its probably just an evolution path that is difficult for our generation to process ( no pun intended ). Maybe the huge loss of dynamic range and separation of sound is compensated by innovation in other aspects.

Maybe David Guetta, Skrillex and others are doing something I don't get. Maybe I'm not 18, aye ; )