View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The death of Rock n Roll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
I read an article recently that said the our ears have now become so accustomed to lo rez mp3s that sound with more bit rate and bandwidth is 'uncomfortable'.
Now that is interesting Abe, but also concerning. I care not for the tech reasons, but reduced bit rate = less dynamic, via compression as a necessity. As if more distance was needed, this takes recorded music further away from live music audio presentation, & in turn, reduces the value, & indeed the wonder, of a full dynamic sonic landscape.

It may seem like I'm being a bit techy deep over this, but I believe it to be a creeping conditioning that's counter productive on so many levels.

On a personal day to day level, I won't listen to mp3 unless I'm forced to via lack of choice. To me, it's the audio cassette of the modern age, & f(*^ing sounds like it too :(

Rather the same as drum sounds, or at least, how they're often presented. I hate how everyone from drum companies to studios must press the "impressive" button. Although different, that really hasn't moved on much from the 80's.