View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The Big Business of Fake Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Interesting view...however, the fans were not fake back then. it's no secret that payola was involved back in the 60/70/80 etc....but getting the music played on the air was tantamount to acquiring real loyal fans....and that real loyal fan went and bought tickets, merch, albums, etc

Payola is everywhere in every facet of life....no discovery there....but today the payola, at least in this case, is not amounting to much....whereas letting snow, showing the dough or getting the Ho would lead to plays on the air, rotation etc...and back when instant gratification was not so prevalent, we were extremely thirsty to learn more about the artist behind the music so we went to concerts, bought the shirts, bought the records etc

I stand behind my premise
Fair point. You are correct, bought rotations on radio attracted real fans, not fake ones.

My point was the whole premise of fake fans is make it appear to real fans that you are more popular than you are, so that real fans will then take notice. It's still the same concept of creating a buzz about a band so that people will check out what the buzz is about.

I don't think most artists who buy fake fans are interesting in the instant gratification of suddenly having a millions views (although, I'm sure some are), it's promoting the product by making it appear larger than it really is.