View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The Big Business of Fake Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
The instant gratification phenomenon along with the utoob phenomenon and downloading have ostensibly changed the face of music performance.

I have realized that I was extremely lucky to have grown up in the 60s and 70s and I appreciate learning music back then and playing in bands back then and working my way into working bands...and now in my middle age, continuing to enjoy and benefit from that hard work.

The irony is, something I don't care for, ie social media, has helped me realize what a profoundly lucky person I am by way of birth date...and also helped me realize how profoundly lucky I am to not have to be so acutely focused on what others think of me.

Instant gratification may also help the old-timers among us stand out as better musicians in the long run, so I can see the benefit in all of this change.
Payola was a big deal in the 60's, 70 and 80's.

Many hit records of those times were hits because radio DJ's were bribed, and good music was often ignored if payments were not made.

Check out the book "Hit Men: Power Brokers and Fast Money Inside the Music Business"
by Fredric Dannen and you'll read how corrupt the music business was in 60's, 70's and 80's.

This article is not so much a reflection of a new problem in the music business, but how the same old concepts have adapted to the new online world.