View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 02:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: David Byrne: 'The internet will suck all creative content out of the world'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Please explain how an artificial scarcity of diamonds and oil has been created. AFAIK there is a finite amount of both of these things in the earth's crust.
It's nothing to do with the amount in existence, it's about controlling the supply through the creation of cartels (see here and here for the examples I gave)

Quote:
Putting music (or movies or written stories) on physical media does not create demand. It controls supply - as long as you have enforceable copyright laws - but it does not create demand. Demand is people wanting stuff, which is a different concept entirely. And even if supply of David Byrne CD's is limited to say 20 copies of the CD, there are a range of substitutes available, ranging from other artists' CD's to home made music to non-music leisure activities.
You're right, perhaps I should say it inflates demand by ensuring it can only be acquired by certain means. And while there's alternatives in terms of entertainment they're not directly comparable...I mean, you could just as easily say a bicycle is an alternative to a car in a discussion of sales of vehicles since you can travel by either, but one can't replace the other.

Quote:
The free market system works for most goods and services because if somebody can produce something cheaper than their competitors they will take business from their competitors. It's not perfect, but it's less imperfect than anything else that's been tried.
I agree, and it would probably work a lot better if people stopped trying to mess it up with protectionist legislation or subsidies.