View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Internet censorship

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
see your point, but presumably when your daughter turns off the TV and said she learned certain words (like a-hole...etc.) you had to guide her in their use (or non-use) somehow. Using your point, is that not censorship?
I don't really think so. My guidance as a parent involves communication, it is a two way street between me and my child. If something comes up that she is curious about or doesn't understand, I do my best to be as open and informative as I can. She then weighs what we have talked about and makes her own judgement call based upon the information given. But in order to have these discussions, she has to be allowed access to everything. I don't want her to grow up with a false sense of reality. The world is a harsh place, and I feel that as parents the only way to prepare our children for it is by not hiding reality from them. Guidance is just that, helping your child understand what is acceptable and what is not. After that the decision is up to them. Censorship is removing something completely, and labeling it as unacceptable for human consumption. It comes prepackaged with the idea that some things are wrong regardless of reason or intelligent thought. I just can't accept that.