View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

I am a great believer in fate. The whole 'right place, right time' argument to me cannot exist without a pre determined path. When you have hind sight, it is very easy to see how moments slotted together almost as if they were written before you decided to see them.

Many people I speak to cannot accept the idea of fate, because it is suggestive of a higher power, or something which is controlling you as opposed to vice versa, which within their perception, cannot exist. I however, I'm open to it.

There is a quote from 'The Men Who Stare at Goats' which I love and like to recite now and again:

“Your life is like a river. If you’re aiming for a goal that isn't your destiny, you will always be swimming against the current. Young Gandhi wants to be a stock car racer? Not gonna happen. Little Anne Frank wants to be a high school teacher? Tough Anne. That's not your destiny. But you will go on to move the hearts and minds of millions. Find out what your destiny is and the river will carry you. Sometimes events in life give an individual clues as to where their destiny lies."