Thread: John Bonham
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
lol. great posts everybody.

as a chump who reads music at the speed of a glacier i learned led zep parts differently. for rock 'n roll and also the intro fill to bonzo's montreaux i use a method i call ten pennies.
i put on the head phones (to get perfect stereo and sound) and put a pile of ten pennies on the table in front of me. then i play (on the cd - so i'm sitting still and not drumming) the target section of the song (ie the R'nR intro) with my eyes closed. each time i play it i take apenny off the pile.
next i repeat the above exercise but this time i air drum it to get a feel for the limb movement (no feet yet).
then i turn up the bass and treble and drop the mids so i can hear the bass drum as clearly as possible and do that ten times.
then only do i start trying it out on the drums. (after hearing the piece 30 times).
so its in my head by heart and my hands and feet usually follow.

j
That's cool - I think I try that myself too.

I just use the paper as a guide to refer back to once in a while. Also, going through the step of writing some things down (I don't write everything down) is just another exercise in seeing if what I think I'm playing or hearing is actually what I intend (in addition to recording myself playing it). The other thing the paper does is it allows me to easily communicate my understanding of something to someone else who isn't standing in front of my drums to hear for themselves what my understanding is.

People that are into writing lyrics or even prose alot of times keep all kinds of notebooks and ideas they want to try out. I think doing this on the drums works well for me personally. My notebook is more or less my laptop since I use Finale alot to write things out, but it's still the same idea.

Things I transcribe are different that my own snippet ideas that I've saved because I have the recording to trigger the memory, but still writing it down for me helps even though I usually set the paper aside and go off of sound and feel and memory as soon as possible.

There are alot of sources for these transcriptions out there (like that Best of Led Zeppelin drums) and I too just use that as a guide. There simply are alot of mistakes in these books and tabs, but they're probably 90-95% accurate and definitely catch things that I've missed. So, with the tabs and books and my own ear to correct mistakes I hear, it's not too difficult to come up with a transcription pretty close to a recording. Then working out the mechanics on and away from the kit it the real task. I wonder if I'll ever get the first verse of "Good Times Bad Times" up to speed... (transcribing it is alot easier than playing well).