View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: THE DRUM MODIFICATION THREAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumz View Post
Sorry Steve, but you are wrong.

http://tinyurl.com/lt5y3g5

Please pay special attention around 2:00 where he says "the chrome is actually stronger than the steel wool so it's not gonna scratch". And this guy used SOS pads, which I would not do personally. Note that I said FINE steel wool. Nothing too heavy or abrasive. That plus a bath in Metal Rescue should do the trick. If the rust is any heavier than that, then he needs to simply replace the hardware.

I also wanted to emphasize what the guy in the vid said...where pitting of the metal has taken place the rust will return, However, the same folks who make Metal Rescue also make a product called Dry Coat which applies a clear coat to the metal and inhibits the return of rust. With reasonable care, it is possible to keep rust away for years.

Of course, my first preference would be to simply replace the hardware. But he may not want to spend that much money and depending on the degree of rust he may not have to.
Well what this "expert" says,goes contrary to what EVERY other expert on the subject says.Recognized experts and published authors like John Aldridge,Rob Cook,Chet Fazzerano,Mike Curotto,Rick Van Horn,Ron Spagnardi,Harry Cangany and many others who are recognized in their field,say something completey different than Marty.

I used to use OOOO steel wool(which is the finest you can but) many years ago,and I now find lots of fine scratches in my vintage chrome hardware.

So no,I'm NOT wrong.So if you want to follow this guys advice,you go right ahead,but don't tell others to do the same as you and he say,and stick with conventional....PROVEN expert wisdom on the subject.But if you want to follow "Marty of shamrock scooters advice,knock yourself out.

SOS pads???? BTW..I don't see a whole lot of drums being restored ,by some guy working in his garage.Next time...do some research first on the subject of "DRUM RESTORATION AND MAINTENENCE", not how to clean your scooter

STAY AWAY FROM STEEL WOOL....PERIOD..

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 11-11-2013 at 04:11 PM.