Thread: Random Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I've always tended to miss lyrics unless they hit me in the face, and even then not if the music catches me.

I was a huge fan of Purple's before I realised just how silly the lyrics were. I was actually embarrassed to be so into Highway Star once I realised how puerile the the lyrics were - just that the sound, vibe and playing were so compelling that I didn't notice IG bragging about having his girl stay close on every bend and "seeding" her (cretin!).

The lyrics on that track make those of Smoke on the Water look almost Shakespearean.
And at the risk of being hypocritical, Highway Star is my favorite Purple track by far.

And in my slight defense, the lyrics really embody the feelings of a typical teenage boy. You want a fast car (or in my case, a drums set), you want to get the girl, you want to rebel, and no one is going to take that feeling away from you. It's big middle finger at authority song.

Not nearly as profound as The Who's "My Generation" or as implicit as Alice Cooper's "18" but it still falls into that teenage anthem category. IMHO, it is more than just another song about girls and sex.