View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: David Byrne: 'The internet will suck all creative content out of the world'

These are indeed interesting reads along with many of the shared views and opinions of you all.

Business models change all the time - regardless of product. Not much is built or delivered today to the consumer exactly as it was 25 years ago. Music business is no different.

As artists, many may not hold a balanced view on the topic. We may mostly see if from the artist side. If we only worked on the business side, there's a good chance we'd only see it from that lens.

One things for certain, the model has changed and will continue to do so as it has for TV, Radio, Books, Magazines, Movies, Phones and various other forms of technology up to and including home computers. Adapt or become a fossil.

Personally speaking, I'm used to participating mostly in a music the majority of people have shunned since the 50's. Even to that point only a few of those musicians made big money from it, but some certainly did and even thereafter.

I could express my own personal views of mainstream popular music and where we are, but not to offend anyone, I'll keep my opinions to myself.

This couldn't be more true ..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
This quote caught my eye:

“The markets for housing, automobiles, music, books, and many other products show a common trend: Younger consumers opting to rent or subscribe to pay-per-use arrangements instead of buying and owning the physical products. Shared facilities will overtake established offices, renting units will become more common than owning a home, and sales of books and music might never become popular again.” From “Consumption 2.0,” by Hugo Garcia, January–February, 2013.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...nd_more.2.html:

It suggests that renting music is the future - maybe subscriptions? A rented download is long way from the presence and excitement of first getting a big vinyl disc, LP cover art, and fold outs with lyrics and blurb (though you can Google most of those things).

Looking back further, listening to an LP was a long way from singing around the piano too. Once again people won't be able to own music (for different reasons, of course) but have ready means to create it at home, although as an individual rather than family group. Music ownership and the audience / performer dynamic seem to be cyclical.
This as well.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
I remember reading an article by Derek Roddy in Drum magazine about this.................going to have to look through my old issues and see if I can find it.

He basically spelled out that music, historically, has always been free..................that only changed relatively recently......................where "rock stars" became millionaires. For centuries, it was something that people did for community entertainment, celebrations, etc.

He also outlined several ways to augment income from music, through teaching, other hobbies, etc. It was a great, down to earth, article.............going to look for it tonight