View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: I think it's time we address why stock heads are so bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
Guitar was my primary instrument for 25 years and the first thing I did when buying a new OR used guitar was to change the strings to my preferred brand/size. I guess it's different, because it was only like $5.00 for a pack of strings compared to $100+ to change heads on a drum set.
Good point about the strings. Not to mention that guitar strings, typically being made of nickel, steel, brass, etc., can oxidize quickly, especially after sitting in a store and being played by numerous people, and there's just not much that can be done about that, because we know that the average person, trying out a guitar, doesn't wipe it down when they're done. I guess the best way would be to just throw in a free pack of your choice with the purchase of the guitar.

Most drum kits don't sit on display for anybody to just play around with, because they take up so much space. Usually there will be a few kits set up, and the rest stacked up in the back on shelves or something. Of course, stacking the drums puts tension on the heads, but they don't have people playing them constantly to kill the tone.

This idea of selling drums without heads is starting to sound better and better. But then, of course, you couldn't really try the kit out at the store, unless maybe they kept a few sets of 'demo heads' on hand