View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Adding on to Roland TD-30 kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy9832 View Post
All,

I am new to the electronic drum world. I've been playing acoustic kits for about 15 years but now my job requires me to hop from place to place, apartment to apartment and an acoustic kit is no longer ideal. I've been keeping my eye on purchasing the Roland TD-30 drum kit since it has come out. I'd really like to find a kit that allows for plenty of room to add on and is as close to an acoustic drum set as possible. One thing that I have noticed recently however is that there doesn't seem to be much room in the sound module to add on more cymbals or drums. Does anyone know a solution to this?

Ideally I'd like to have a total of 4 or 5 toms and 6 additional cymbals not including the ride and hi-hat any suggestions?

Brett
Hi Brett,

Nope - you'll be maxed out and short of target. Without getting into DIY workarounds, the TD30 offers 4 extra inputs over the 'stock' kit pads. To go beyond that, there are two methods:

- TMI - Trigger->to->MIDI Interface, the most common of which will be an old Roland TMC6. This will give you an additional 6 trigger processing inputs, it then connects to the module via MIDI to fire the sounds. The upside of this is that it's a pretty inexpensive unit = the downside is that it will require programming a) to set the trigger performance you want - although you'll have to do this with the main module anyway - and; b) to set the correct MIDI map for the sounds you want, kit by kit. None of this is rocket science, but it isn't plug-and-play either.

- Get a 2nd module. As simple as it sounds. upside is that it doubles your inputs and if you know how to work one, you know how to work two! Downside is, of course, the price... Most 'monster' ekits you see that replicate a large acoustic kit use double (or triple) modules.