View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: I think it's time we address why stock heads are so bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
It would be nice if drum companies offered an option to purchase a drum with the heads of your choice.
That's what many boutique builders offer, and I think it's a good idea for a small company (read: a couple of guys in a garage) that's not buying huigh quantities of heads which might entittle them to special direct-pricing from one head manufacturer or another.

Quote:
It should make no difference what so ever to the drum company what kind of heads the buyer wants, as they sell drums, not heads (yes I know some companies make their own heads).
It basically doesn't make a difference, although drum companies often have a pricing agreement with one of the big 3, and straying might cause that agrement to be cancelled, and head prices may be higher with another supplier.

DW's heads are made by Remo. Yes, that crimped collar is done by Remo... at DW's request. :)

But in the case of Ludwig, who does manufacture their own heads, they still supply Evans on at least one of their US lines (Keystone) and I suspect they'd put Evans on the other drums if requested.

Bermuda