View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Roland SPD-SX Sampling vs. Octapad SPD-30 Phrasing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot View Post
Here's what I want:

1) The ability to have add-on e-drum sounds to my 7-piece Mapex Saturn acoustic kit.
2) The ability to trigger melodic instrument tracks, such as bass, keys, guitar, click, etc.
3) The ability to play the unit as a stand-alone kit at times such as what you mentioned.
4) At times, both 2 and 3 above.

Am I dreaming, or barking up the wrong tree with either of the Roland units?
You're dreaming unfortunately. But if you had both units you'd see why they couldn't make one do everything in one unit. The yamaha multi is the closest thing to what you're looking for. But it only holds 64mb of samples. That's a decent amount if you're only using one shots. But if you want loops, and backtracks your in big trouble.

If you can swing it, get both. If you find you can do without one, you'll get close to what you paid for it on eBay.(provided you buy it on eBay. I got both mine from eBay new and way less than the retail price.) If you can only swing one, then....if you play out live, I'd say get the SX first. If this is more for jamroom recording, practice, writing, I'd get the 30 first. The phrase looper on the 30 is my favorite thing of everything musical I own. I take those loops, and put them on the SX(among many other things)