View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Roland SPD-SX Sampling vs. Octapad SPD-30 Phrasing, etc.

I'm guessing that Mr. Leadfoot would be the full recipient of this info?? Anyway, I have both the SPD-SX and the SPD-30 Octapad. I have incorporated these into my DW acoustic kit, and I am still learning what they can do. The SPD-SX is an onboard sampler. You have PC software that comes with the unit, and you can load samples into the software on your PC (keys, drums, voice, cartoon tracks, anything) and then asign to the SPD-SX. You can name the group, and pull them up on demand. Foot controllers are also useful for that as well. The SPD-SX has quite a bit of technology built in, so the manual is important. If you need an intro sample for a live performance, the SPD-SX is the tool. You have full control of your samples when and where you need them. The Octapad is the really slick tool for adding to a kit. I have this incorporated into my acoustics, but I also use it with accessories (kick pad, V drum modue for my snare, hat pedal and hat pads) and I have a full kit when I'm doing a small three piece act or soemthing at a small engagement. I also use this with my full 6 piece DW kit when I want that killer electronic low end kick or some world tom sounds etc. This is the unit that you use the on baord sounds to "write a drum phrase". You set the click if needed, you set the signature, you pick the sounds you want, and then record. You can then record two addtional layers over top of the first, and have a full drum onslaught at your disposal. You can adjust the on board effects, and create just about any kit you want. This is what you use as a drum kit, or an addition to you existing gear, and it is quite useful. I can elaborate more if needed, but I hope this helps!