View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: David Byrne: 'The internet will suck all creative content out of the world'

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
You don't listen to complete songs on Amazon, just a sample. Definitely enough to tell whether it's something you would want to purchase.
On Amazon, yes.

But on the artist website, band camp, and such, you usually get an entire song.

Many bands stream there entire new albums on their sites or such for a few days FOR free.
If I listen to the legal stream, provided by the band/record company, for FREE, I get the whole album to judge if I want to listen to it again.

In the end, not much different.

Quote:
Apple, Spotify, Pandora, Facebook, Google, YouTube ALL need to pay up, and pay up BIG. None of them would exist if it weren't for all the content that they refuse to pay A FAIR PERCENTAGE for. NONE OF THEM.
Technically, true. I won't disagree.

But that is what was always said about the labels too. They take the vast percentage of the money from album sales, and then expense every last penny it took to make said album against the small percentage the artist was supposed to get. Long before the internet, plenty of bands signed record deals, sold thousands of albums, and were still broke. For every artist that sold a million records on a major label, there were a dozen more who's albums got made but never promoted, and ended up in the 99 cent bin, or just shelved all together.

The music business has never been fair. The Beatles got ripped off on the rights to their own songs. The Who had financial issues their entire career due to bad contracts they signed when they were young. And on and on.