View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Heat Gun on Snare Reso Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razbo View Post
Sorry to bump this old thread. I saw I posted and couldn't remember doing so. I think I was "feeling a bit silly" when I did.

Yes, I do stretch my strings when I change them. Thoroughly, using the "suitcase method". I still need to retune a fair bit for the first hour or so.

When changing heads, I press most of my weight in the center with a cloth, which I feel is a comparable effort to string stretching. I still need to retune them after a while, and this is even the case with well worn (presumably well stretched) heads due, probably, to atmospheric changes. I know moving my guitars from one place to another almost guarantees a retuning, while they can stay in tune for days if the temperatures are stable.

The idea of adding heat just seems odd to me, and I'd be afraid agitating those molecules would affect the integrity of the skin somehow. If it is something some folks believe in, maybe I'll give it a try.

Edit to add:

Also, I must confess, since my long absence from drumming, I have not been exposed to serious tuning and retuning yet. This past Saturday, I spent the entire day changing heads and tuning up two sets of drums. My perspective on 'anything that speeds up the process' could be rapidly changing!
Okay, see I thought you were essentially saying that you just throw the heads on, tune them up, and play and retune until they're seated. I also put pressure on my heads, to stretch them and crack the glue. The heat is just a little extra step that seems to make a difference for the better. I would recommend everybody give it a try, because they don't really stand to lose anything unless they use too much heat. The amount of heat it takes isn't enough to damage anything, as you just get it a little warm.