View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Initial review of Aquarian's Super 2 coated head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
In my experience, Aquarians do take a little while before their true beauty will shine through. I was kinda ho-hum about the Texture Coated reverse dot that I put on my Pork Pie Big Black, but now that it has been worn-in a couple months, it has to be one of the best sounding heads I've ever had the pleasure to drum on. That, and the coating is holding together well and hasn't even shown any sign of wearing out yet. I tried a plain Texture Coated head on the ACE snare drum I gave to my nephew and it sounded good as well.I like the coated Evans G1 PCRD on my Acrolite, but the amazing sound coming from this Aquarian head is winning me over. I still can't decide which head I like better because that G1 sounds good right out of the box. I'm torn. It may come down to which coating is more resilient. Remo heads fall flat in that department.
I'm curious to hear an update on this.

I just put some Evans G1's on one of my kits and after only one gig and a handful of practices the heads look pretty dirty. I really don't mind that part actually--it doesn't seem to affect the sound so far. But it does make me wonder about the longevity of the heads versus the Aquarians I normally use.