View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever pull a gun at practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
With our current world problems with overpopulation maybe everyone should be issued with a machine gun?

Weird that so many Americans seem so intent on waging war on each other, pretty well handing world leadership to China on a silver platter.

All great civilisations eventually self destruct ... it's a damn shame but you guys have to destroy yourselves in your own way. Try not to take us Aussies down with you if you can help it ...
Over-population and gun ownership are both different concerns, though one is sure to fix the other. You pick!!! I'm not qualified... I've carried a machine gun off-and-on for 15 years and haven't killed a soul. Yet.

US citizens waging war amongst themselves? We did that back in the 1860's and the North won. Now-a-days, civil war in the States is mostly just drug dealers.

World leadership to China? The US government sold that title back in the Clinton era and it's only getting worse with our current national debt. I'm not too happy about it either. Personal responsibility extends from individuals to countries too, I think.

Gun ownership doesn't necessarily equal self destruction. I've got 54 years of experience, though tomorrow is another day. In 2011, Australia was 4th from the top of the list of US foreign military sales dollars - might want to contact your elected officials! If it was up to me, there wouldn't be foreign military sales, but I'm just a citizen, so what do I know.

I love ya, Grea. I really wish we could continue this debate over a beer. Doubtful there would be any converts, but at least you'd better understand my point of view, and vice-versa, too! I'm sure you'd agree that most gun advocates aren't complete homicidal idiots - though I'll agree there are some exceptions. In the USA, it's estimated that the gun ownership rate is 89 per 100 souls with about 31,000 annual firearm related fatalities. That's a rate of about 0.01%. Automobile owners in the US, as a group, can't claim that level of safety.

I'm not trying to poo-poo the loss of a single soul - even one fatality is too many, but if you want to compare apples to apples...

Enjoy your vacation in the Motherland - give my best to the DW sisters and brothers!

John