Thread: Random Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I found it all gigantic so tonight I just had a starter - veggie soup - and an apple pie. Beautiful as usual, as you know. When were you here?
My company expanded into Europe about 7 or 8 years ago. We acquired companies in Germany and France and we were working on integrating our software, which is why they sent me over there. I think this was early 2007. I spent most of my time in Lyon, which is just an exquisitely beautiful place in Southern France. Talk about viniculture... I'm not a super-serious wine enthusiast, but it's hard not to get excited by the Rhone Valley and Chateauneuf-du-Pape, right? All the food and wine I consumed was delicious.

It's funny, because I had the same preconceived notion going in about portion sizes. I'm thinking I'll be the big Yank expecting a gigantic meal and being teased with a meal that looks more like a garnish. But when we broke for lunch on the first day, everyone was served big portions, probably more than I would eat for lunch in the States. But whereas dinner is our biggest meal back home, in France, dinner portions were smaller than those we were served at lunch.