View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: The generation that the doctors betrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Does anyone remember the original "basic food groups" Why in the world was bread one of them? Was it because the doctors actually thought that bread was good for us or was it because they folded under pressure from other sources? Or did they just not know better? Or is it something else entirely?
Bread has a lot of calories and whole wheat grains have a lot of nutritional value, its easy to make, and and BEER was born out of bread production. Its not unhealthy by any means. Bread has been an integral part of human culture and literally our survival! Its the "bread and butter"; its why we "break bread" at special occasions. Every ancient culture that could harvest grain was making bread, period. Its not a stretch to understand why nutritional and dietitians included bread/grains as a major food group, because it is. Its the most been the most consumed food for centuries even before Wonder Bread and major food manufactures.

As with anything, too much of a good thing is bad. Brad tastes good and we eat a crap ton of bread nowadays. Gluten tastes good, and most bread you buy has a crap ton of gluten in it. Gluten and carbohydrates are not necessarily bad for you, but after high consumption for long periods of time, you body chemistry evolves into something else that doesn't behave well.

Quote:
I don't believe in grand conspiracies. I can't get two people to keep a secret much less an entire profession. I do know that the health of the public was compromised, however. Look at the obesity and diabetes rates in the USA. Is that no one's responsibility? The food manufacturers? or just general ignorance?
Only you are responsible for your health. Food manufactures are not trend setters; they are follwers 100%. Food manufactures will make what people are buying. If we stop buying crap, they will stop making crap. They did not force this crazy processed food on us. They saw that the average customer was looking for foods that were easier to cook/prepare/eat and that lasted longer, and they responded. You could argue that maybe this has spiraled out of control, but its a lot better than it used to be.

Quote:
Maybe it's all part of general scientific progress and I'm totally off but it seems that the recent push towards healthier foods and life habits did not come from the medical establishment. It seems to have started from the fringe and then, after enough proof of it accumulated, the doctors were forced to go along or else be left behind.
I'd definitely say that the paradigm shift resulted from continued research on the part of dietitians and nutritionists. With any change in thinking, it takes time. The scientific and medical communities are very conservative - its takes extraordinary evidence to prove extraordinary claims the defy conventional thinking. That evidence can only come from countless labs tests and trials, not the fringe.