View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The generation that the doctors betrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I'm in the "we are lucky" camp.

Yes, there's tons of BS but it seems to me that as humans born in middle class modern society we are amongst the .0000000000001% (give or take) luckiest organisms ever born on the planet - going back billions of years.

So many poor creatures dying prematurely by having their guts sucked out ... not to mention all the early people plagued with parasites, harmful superstitions, blood sacrifices, slavery, corruption that makes our modern western dodginess look like child's play ... then in other societies today some of the above with all manner of atrocities committed on innocents etc etc.

Then, for young people today there is an uncertain future with more and more people striving to get ever larger portions of a rapidly decreasing resource pie.

We have so much to be grateful for ... but we still grumble. Me too. Even though I know all this, I can't seem to internalise it enough to be as serene about life as I logically should be.

I guess we're only human ... outrageously lucky humans but still with all the same old flaws.

Eat mostly plants. Exercise hard. Take time out to reflect. Be kind. Engage in your passions as much as your obligations allow. Try not to dwell on the BS ... all easier said than done but I think that might be the way to go.
Much wisdom here Grea...

My summation is I'll bet some of the grumblers here (perhaps not all) have never been put to the test about what it means to benefit from modern day medical technology.

Have your own 2 year old child or perhaps a spouse/significant other whose life hangs in the balance based on what is and isn't possible. If - and I say if the outcome ends up favorable, then let's revisit this topic.