View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Anyone ever pull a gun at practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Shooting rampages are extremely rare, even though the media whip people in a frenzy about them. Your hairy-chested threat assessment is great for the extremely rare and sensational of case of a purposeful mass shooting, but not very relevant to the much more common Drunken Idiot Factor. In the latest round of mass shootings, the shooters fully expected to be shot and killed and they know that going in; the usefuless of other armed people is debatable when the shooter is on a suicide mission.

I encourage the establishment of mandatory-carry bars where there are plenty of drunken idiots ready to show their heroism by shooting every other armed drunken idiot. In such places, everyone thinks they are "a good guy with a gun" stopping a "bad guy with a gun." When the survivors sober up, they will find there were no "good guys with guns" involved, just other armed drunken idiots shooting each other over some mindless squabble. The fewer armed drunken idiots there are, the safer we will all be.

If anyone wants to mellow out and get drunk in the perceived safety of other unarmed people, there should be a place for them too. I guess they'll just have to take their chances with the incredibly rare event of a mass shooting in exchange for no Drunken Idiot Factor. Property owners can and do establish very effective gun-free zones and I encourage people to exercise their Fifth Amendment rights to prohibit or mandate guns on their property.
You may have missed the part where I was referencing LEGAL CCW carriers (in reply to your post about bars that allow CCW holders to carry in establishments). In this case, I'd agree, but please go back and reread the part where the idiot is defined as the person still carrying a weapon after the first drink is consumed. I think that is where our disconnect is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Numbers speak. Gun laws, and the statistics of these kinds of tragedies in other countries suggest the opposite of what you state.

But I fully understand the complexities of how 'arms' are embedded in the Constitution.
Our country is relatively young, and founded on much different principles and times than other nations. There are different ethics and societal views. This is a whole other conversation, that DOES relate to gun violence, but I believe this is outside our current discussion.