View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Yamaha Live Custom Drums with Remo Vintage Emperor heads... (video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
...Cause right now, after seeing a Pearl Reference Pure set in piano black, with the chrome tube lugs and a white bass drum reso, it has my mouth watering for a set with that look. I especially like that the Stage Custom has finished bass drum hoops. The unfinished maple on the X7 is beautiful and of great quality, but I like the look of a finished hoop more so myself. Only thing is, the X7 has rubber inserts on the lugs to protect the finish on the shells and hoops, which the SC doesn't have but that's probably not something to look down upon when it comes to the quality and sound.
I have three sets - these Live Customs, the turqoise maple Fibes kit, and.... wait for it... a Pearl Reference in piano black! You have absolutely FANTASTIC taste in drum sets. :)

Also note that the new Yamaha Live Custom has better hardware than the previous Yamaha drums. That's my opinion, anyway. I compared the Live Custom to an Oak Custom and the Live Custom seemed nicer to me. Just an opinion, though.

Quote:
Anyway, sorry I'm derailing this thread. Kit looks great and as far as the Kick Port, yeah the optimum effect is going to be just outside the port I believe. It's just like a ported box for a sub woofer, if you've ever put your hand next to the port on a sub box, you can feel the air coming out and the distance it travels. I'd say maximum effect would be around an inch or so out or in. Seems you have the mic a bit too far into the Kick Port to notice any of the effect. Also have to be careful of placement just outside of the Kick Port as the wind noise may distort the mic, which then you would want to place it a little further back until it stops or maybe off center of it just a bit. Just some ideas is all. :)
Yeah, I did everything wrong with the Kickport in the Yamaha video. I definitely should've had the mic outside of the drum, so I'll do that differently next time.

But besides that, I'm not sure the Kickport makes a difference in the room on the Yamaha kit. On my Pearl kit, the bass drum sounds enormous with it installed and wimpy without, but not so with this Yamaha kit. Not sure what that's all about. Does the depth make a big difference in how the Kickport works? My Yamaha bass drum is only 14" deep, whereas the Pearl is 18".