View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 06:50 PM
XplosiveDrummer

Default Re: DW9002 beater position

Like has been said you want the beaters to line up in distance and height as close as possible and actually I mean dead on. Though where you can be a bit different is with the spring tension. Because the slave has a bar or connecting rod, there is far more torque being applied to the beater. I've noticed, with my Tama IC's, that it takes less spring tension on the slave to get good rebound. So I usually have the main tighter by a few threads. That may not be the best for every double pedal but it works for me and this one. You also want to get them to swing back n forth as evenly as possible. Pull them back with your fingers or a drum stick and let go and watch them. It may take some fine tuning but that's what I would aim for.

As for the main pedal and how it's set up, I'm not sure how much work you do with your right foot. I suppose if you don't lift a lot to where it allows the beater to come back all that much then it may work for you but I just can't believe you're not destroying the top of your foot lol. The footboard may not be all that bad, as I believe Tony Royster Jr has his 9000's up quite a bit but either way like others feel, I think the beater could be moved forward quite a bit lol. :)

You're actually being counter effective. For the same kind of tension as you get with it that far back, you can have it with the beater much closer. I too like a bit of distance and a longer stroke but that just seems too excessive. Though like I said, you may not move your foot enough to where it allows the beater to come back and hit your foot and you may play like that either because you're trying to keep it from hitting your foot or because that's just how you play.

Either way I now hate you knowing you have 9000's for pedals lol! :P :)