View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Calling All Bad Back Drummers: Ergokinetic Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

The market is in need of a lightweight throne base that can handle some weight, there's not one out there know of, solid spindles are heavy, add weight, tubes don't hold b/c standard pot metal clamps stretch.
I've just checked the Gibraltar website and they do have my throne in a single braced version. My double braced model has held up fantastically over the years, it seems indestructible. Perhaps their single braced model is worth a try?

I doubt that the difference in weight would be significant as the single braced model has a solid spindle as well. I thought about sawing off a part of my throne's spindle to reduce the weight, but that would probably result in reduced stability as well as compromising the throne in the long term.

If I do happen upon the single braced throne at a good price, I'll get it. I calculated that if I replaced all my stands with Yamaha 600 and 700 models, I could shave off 2,5kg from the total weight. Deduct another half a kilo by replacing the throne base and I'd have have reduced the weight from about 27,5kg to 24,5kg. That makes a difference when everything is stored in one single hardcase.