View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

There are situations where we make rational decisions and situations where we simply 'switch off'. At work, I 'switch off' when I'm making interventions and simply follow a protocol that has been laid down and then reflect upon it later. I'm not going into what precisely I do but in some instances, those reactions have proved important.

On a slightly odd note, I came across a real situation on Friday. I care greatly for animals. I'm a vegetarian and have been for a few years. One of my work colleagues found a dying pigeon and moved it somewhere out of harm. A few hours later, it's still there and clearly suffering - necrotising, twitching, the lot. At that point I made a decision that I would end the pigeon's suffering as quickly and as painlessly as I could with the tools available to me. Without going into the gruesome details, the pigeon's neck was broken and I buried it.

I was discussing it with my co-worker today and he came to the same conclusion about the pigeon as I did - he just didn't feel that he could've taken the action that I did. What is it in my own make-up that means I can make those decisions and carry them out? Is it a morbid, dark streak? Is it some kind of moral duty? Did I enjoy killing the pigeon?

I don't know the answers to any of the questions other than to say that no matter what my reasoning or sensations were, I did the right thing. It's odd.