View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Renegade

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I'll have to check it out. I would wager that it has to do with semantics and definitions of the terms, though.

I was referring more to natural selection. Traits and "instincts" that are not beneficial would have no reason to exist or develop. If selection is not natural and instead some cosmic process that makes choice and circumstance irrelevant, instincts to avoid danger would be pointless.

Right, but what we're discussing is the possibility that you were "meant" to be trampled and could not avoid it because the universe decided so. In effect, un-natural selection.
Re semantics: check out the vid and let me know. He seemed pretty unequivocal. He said that scientifically the notion of free will is incoherent.

Re instincts having no need to develop: I'd say that developing instincts would be as inevitable as everything else.

Thing is, if you decided your number was up and so you'd step in front of a bus then that would also be inevitable based on, I guess, depression or psychosis due to genetics and environment.

Are we on the same page or am I misreading semantics. Hard to say between jet lag and wino over dinner ...

Soundcloud stream