View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I thought similarly to you about free will until seeing Sam Harris' s YT talk on the impossibilty of free will.
I'll have to check it out. I would wager that it has to do with semantics and definitions of the terms, though.

Quote:
Also nothing is ever done for "the benefit of the species" ... it's all individuals acting on their own behalf.
I was referring more to natural selection. Traits and "instincts" that are not beneficial would have no reason to exist or develop. If selection is not natural and instead some cosmic process that makes choice and circumstance irrelevant, instincts to avoid danger would be pointless.

Quote:
In real life (as opposed to our cultural bubble) instinct is paramount ... if you don't check to make sure you're not going to be run over by rampaging elephants (ie. cars ) then you don't pass on your genes. Genetics favours those who avoid getting smooshed ...
Right, but what we're discussing is the possibility that you were "meant" to be trampled and could not avoid it because the universe decided so. In effect, un-natural selection.