View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anybody switch from double to single?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Pop, I dunno, don't really listen to much pop anymore. I don't listen to country so again I can't say.

Classic rock: Deep Purple-Fireball, Guns N Roses-Paradise City (on and off after the 5min mark), Van Halen-Hot for Teacher is a 2 bass off step pattern, Primus uses a ton of it, lots of it in Whitesnake and numerous hair bands (now considered classic rock, as is Metallica for that matter), STP had fills with 2 kicks, and when I saw them live Eric Kretz used it a lot actually, Man-O-War, Judas Priest, I seem to remember a Triumph song or two, Ginger Baker used both kicks as did Bill Ward at times. I wouldn't consider Tool metal either. It is there, not a big part of mainstream music, but it is there.

Just because double bass has a stigma of being only for metal is really a poor reason to disqualify the double pedal. You don't have to use it just for running your feet.
I don't disqualify it. I still own one! But the classic rock stuff I play (ie - that our audience wants to hear) generally doesn't use it, so I no longer bring it out. When it is used in classic rock, it's usually for a fill, and not a single person in the audience notices or cares if I do the fill without the double pedal, lol.

I can play "Paradise City" just fine with a single pedal, but "Honky Tonk Women" without cowbell just doesn't sound right. And what about Van Halen's "Dance the Night Away?"

In truth, I'm not dogmatic about any of this stuff, and I really don't care what other people play. I just like the single pedal, it's all I need right now, so that's what I play. To each their own.