View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 04:08 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Anybody switch from double to single?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I disagree. I can think of a number of popular songs that use cowbell, but I can't think of any that use double bass. (I'm talking specifically here about the genres I usually play - pop, country, classic rock.)
Pop, I dunno, don't really listen to much pop anymore. I don't listen to country so again I can't say.

Classic rock: Deep Purple-Fireball, Guns N Roses-Paradise City (on and off after the 5min mark), Van Halen-Hot for Teacher is a 2 bass off step pattern, Primus uses a ton of it, lots of it in Whitesnake and numerous hair bands (now considered classic rock, as is Metallica for that matter), STP had fills with 2 kicks, and when I saw them live Eric Kretz used it a lot actually, Man-O-War, Judas Priest, I seem to remember a Triumph song or two, Ginger Baker used both kicks as did Bill Ward at times. I wouldn't consider Tool metal either. It is there, not a big part of mainstream music, but it is there.

Just because double bass has a stigma of being only for metal is really a poor reason to disqualify the double pedal. You don't have to use it just for running your feet.