View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Iron Cobra Jr Double Pedal Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Grab your slave pedal cam with one hand and your beater with the other. While keeping the cam still, try to move the beater back and forth. If it has more than about a quarter inch of play, your driveshaft U-joints are wearing out. This is why your beater has a loss of response. As the beater swings freely, the first set of U-joints must take up their slack to start to turn the driveshaft. Once the driveshaft starts to turn, the second set of U-joints must then take up their slack to move the slave pedal. All of this clunking of the U-joints is counteracting the spring, thus deadening your pedal responsiveness. One solution is to replace the driveshaft, the second would be add a spring to the slave side. A second spring will help the action of the slave pedal and assist the main spring in doing its job. It wont solve the slack in the driveshaft, but it will help alleviate some clunkiness to the slave side.
I had this problem after about 12 years of use of my Iron Cobras (before Speed Cobras). I just replaced the whole assembly. I don't have time for quick and easy maintenance...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
Doing that test I can move the beater almost 3 inches without the cam moving at all. Oof! Now I understand the perils of online shopping for used pedals. Though I'm just starting out trying to seriously learn double bass, it seems like using something so worn out from the start isn't going to make things easier for me. Plus if I start to put more money into the thing then I'll be in the "Why didn't I just buy a standard IC to begin with?" price range (I got it for $100 w/ case and IC beaters). Thanks for that explanation.
If you practice with a bad pedal, then eventually get a good one, your foot/brain connection may have to relearn (can take a few minutes/days/etc..., took me months).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
A lot of drummers talk about slave pedal lag. I never experienced it with my pearl eliminators. I think drummers hate to admit their foot on the slave pedal just isn't up to par with their other foot.
Nor have I experienced it with my Speed Cobras. This doesn't cancel the weight of the connecting bar (and other additional components), though. It is not as noticeable with better pedals, but it is just physics.