View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Are Ludwig Supraphonics really that good a snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
No I haven't seen one in my travels yet Mr. Hyde. (No more Jekyll lol?) But I will certainly check it out. I can't recall the last time I played on a steel shelled snare drum. The fact that they are flying off the shelves speaks volumes. I don't think Ludwig can say that about their Epic "Brick" snare. So it sounds like they really got something here. And I like overtones, gimme all you got, so steel probably has a lot. That's why I don't gravitate towards the Supra and it's also exactly why it's so popular with recording guys and a great number of drummers. The Supra is the ultimate pop drum. Take that however you like.

The Supra is as classic Americana as it gets, like Harley Davidson and Levis blue jeans. It's a part of the culture, and it's tone has influenced the entire baby boom generation and beyond. Who else can say that?

So the short answer to the thread question is yea it really is that good of a snare. But it's cool if it's not your cup of tea.
Hey Larry, my 402 is real ringy and resonant. So much that I have to engage the internal muffler, which at the same time gives me a fatter sound with tone. The trick for me was to put a thicker emperor weight snare side head on the reso, and an Aquarian hi-velocity on the batter (which is like a coated emperor with a reverse dot, but sounds way better). When I first got my 402, it had a regular ambassador snare side, and coated ambassador batter- sounded thin, and too dry with not much body/volume. My current head combo really opened up/fattened the sound, yet it's still the most sensitive drum I have, and yields a great rim shot.