View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hi-Hat Stepping (Lift & Close on every beat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdisease View Post
Ah, now I see my problem. I need to do 16th hi-hat open/closes. Hmmm...
Ahm, I don't think that's it. You're talking about doing what Chad Smith is doing right here, right? What he's doing is playing 8th notes on the hihat with his left foot-- or he may just be moving his leg in an 8th note rhythm. The opening is implied-- you don't have to think about it or make it part of the rhythm. You can do it by just tapping your heel on the floor or on the footboard. After you can make steady 8th notes that way, you can start moving your leg a little more to move the cymbals and get the sound you want. Then get out whatever rock book you own-- Funky Primer, whatever-- and practice the beats, with your RH on the cymbal and your LF doing the 8th notes. For me this technique only works at certain tempos-- maybe ~80-126. It requires a continuous motion that falls apart at slower tempos, and it uses your whole leg, which is generally not a fine enough instrument to go a lot faster. Find the tempo where your leg is naturally most comfortable doing that movement, and then expand your range of tempos from there.