View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 08:45 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Are Ludwig Supraphonics really that good a snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
Bermuda and Larry, have either of you tries the 6.5 supralite? I know its not the same alloy, its steel, but I think its a very close representation at a crazy low price.
No I haven't seen one in my travels yet Mr. Hyde. (No more Jekyll lol?) But I will certainly check it out. I can't recall the last time I played on a steel shelled snare drum. The fact that they are flying off the shelves speaks volumes. I don't think Ludwig can say that about their Epic "Brick" snare. So it sounds like they really got something here. And I like overtones, gimme all you got, so steel probably has a lot. That's why I don't gravitate towards the Supra and it's also exactly why it's so popular with recording guys and a great number of drummers. The Supra is the ultimate pop drum. Take that however you like.

The Supra is as classic Americana as it gets, like Harley Davidson and Levis blue jeans. It's a part of the culture, and it's tone has influenced the entire baby boom generation and beyond. Who else can say that?

So the short answer to the thread question is yea it really is that good of a snare. But it's cool if it's not your cup of tea.

Gomez Addams