View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Are Ludwig Supraphonics really that good a snare

I am not offended by anyone liking a different sound than I do. Nothing works for "everyone".
You like what you like, and there's nothing to argue about in that regard.

I'm with Les on the feel of the 402. It's not the sound, I like it, and it's not really dated to me, but I haven't been playing them since the 60's either (to get "sick" of it).
I just didn't get the feel for the 402 and I tried 3 different times. I do like my HAMMERED 402, so go figure.... The 400 did ZREO for me.
I just like a heavier snare.

I dig my Acrolite Classic 6.5 though! It's weird, but it feels more solid to me for some reason than the 402. The sound is a lot more to my liking. It has elements of the 402, but it has a fatter sound overall to me.

The cosmetic splay stuff on Ludwig (or others) I could give 2 craps about really. The price (has been discussed) has gone up, but so has everything else, so whatever.

I LOVE the sound of the Supralite 6.5. It's a heavier shell than a 402 also. The lower price is great, and I don't care that it's a seamed shell. It has a slightly more controlled sound than a seamless to my ear, with nice singing overtones.
ALL the seamed shell snares made by companies that copy Ludwig's shell do. MOST people put dampening on their snare anyway, so what's the difference?

I saw a lot of nice stuff at the Chicago show last May, and TBH, the Supralite was my favorite sounding snare. I have so many dang snares now (that don't get into the rotation) that I haven't bought one (yet).
I may sell something in the near future, so I may justify the purchase of one. One friend said, "if you don't have to sell something, why do it" but, I'm just at the point of not wanting a bunch of stuff that just sits and isn't used. It's not really the $150 bucks or whatever.