Thread: Tony Williams
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
I first heard Tony in the mid 1980s .....a friend played me a Lifetime record...I think it was Emergency!
I wasn't really into it at the time ...but I loved the drumming

I went on to seek out more of this guys playing and Boom!!....mind blown!

first I found Seven Steps To Heaven and lost it...I was obsessed

some of my favorite Tony recordings in case you have not heard them....please...PLEASE!!! check them out

Jackie McLean - Vertigo
Jackie Mclean - One Step Beyond (both of which he is 17 on......FIRE! )

Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles
Andrew Hill - Point Of Departure
Wayne Shorter - the Soothsayer
Kenny Dorham - Una Mas

funny story real quick

I was attending IAR in NYC around 1993 or '94
one rainy morning around 7:30 I was walking across 6th ave on my way to school and who walks past me crossing in the opposite direction and just about rubs shoulders with me wearing a full length leather trench coat, black leather gloves and a Kangol hat smoking a big thick cigar ?

Tony Williams

I became speechless and spun around as he passed and all that came out of my mouth was ....."Tony Williams!"....

he turned his head and smiled with the stogie in his mouth and gave a thumbs up never breaking stride ........I on the other hand got side swiped by a cab and fell on my ass in the middle of a wet 6th ave.

all worth it
That is more than just a funny little anecdote. An unexpected brush with Greatness must be a strange experience. The only time I've come close to someone of Tony's stature is when I've seen Wayne Shorter on stage, only a few metres away. But it still feels unreal.
To actually bump into such a person in a very mundane everyday situation, that must be quite a souvenir to have!

Thanks for the album tips. I already have several Blue Notes with Tony (W Shorter, J McLean, Grachan Moncur, Hancock, Tony's own albums) but the Dolphy/Hill stuff was still to far out for me.

I think it would take me several lifetimes to really comprehend what Tony was doing even at 17 years of age.